I am a Bilingual Licensed Professional Counselor Psychologist. (Virginia Professional License #0701004872 Exp. 06/30/2018). With more than 10 years in the counseling field, I believe my own personal journey, professional intuition and extensive training are the main skills I possess. I work with individuals, couples, families and groups from different backgrounds and situations. My main focus is to provide long term changes. I like to help people not only to solve problems but to have more fulfilling lives.
I have a Master’s degree in Professional Counseling Psychology from the American School of Professional Psychology (ASPP) at Argosy University in Washington, DC, a Bachelors’ Degree in Social Science and Communications from University of Piura, Peru, and a vast post graduate training and experience in human development, social behavior and neuroscience. I consider myself a long-life learner and believe in the importance of continuing education. Thus, I regularly seek out continued professional training to stay current on the latest science and best practices for treatment.
Counseling Post Licensure Education:
After graduating, I continued my clinical education by:
- Fellowship at the Washington DC Psychoanalytic Institute
- Trauma Certificate at the Institute for Advance Psychotherapy Training and Education, Inc. in Maryland.
- Complexion of the PAIRS Relationship Mastery Program, a couple’s marriage enrichment class.
- I continue to deepen my knowledge of Attachment, Imago and Emotionally Focus Therapy. Those are the main theories I combined to better help couples and people trying to improve their relationships.
- Complexion of Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- EMDR for treating PTSD & Dissociative Personality Disorders
- Memory Reconsolidation Processing
- EMDR & Attachment/ Addictive Behaviors
- Complexion of the Internal Family Systems Model training to become an IFS practitioner.
During my growth as a therapist I became more and more passionate about Attachment Theory. I realized that in many cases such as addictions, depression and anxiety, relationships problems, parenting, and self esteem, the underlying issue is attachment. Therefore, as an attachment expert, the most recent additions to my tool box include:
- The Developmental Needs Meeting Strategy-DNMS (an Ego State Therapy for Healing Adults with Childhood Trauma & Attachment Wounds),
- EMDR-Attachment Focused for healing Relational Trauma,
- SATe Somatic Experiencing-based attachment repair program.
- The Marriage of EMDR and Ego State Theory in Couples Therapy
My goal is to practice therapy that produced long-term results. Therefore, all my training incorporate the latest research on neurobiology and the integrated brain.
My Counseling Psychotherapy style:
I adjust my approach and treatment modalities to your needs and not the opposite. I start off from believing that every person is unique and every situation exclusive. Therefore, a particular modality or a combination of techniques will be the best fit for each client. I feel comfortable integrating a variety of therapeutic techniques into my treatment plans. From cognitive-behavioral techniques to psychodynamic insight oriented interpretation and experiential emotionally focus approaches. I also try to offer my clients several options (short-term and long-term options) and discuss with them what best suit their needs at the moment. Different people might have different needs and goals for therapy. Many people benefit daily from talk therapy, while others might need a different approach. I offer them experiential approaches such as IFS (Internal Family Systems), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) and DNMS (The Developmental Needs Meeting Strategy) among others.
Learn more information about more intensive experiential modalities.
In addition to my private practice, I have worked with community centers and government agencies in the past. I am affiliated with hospitals such as dominion hospital, VA hospital center and others. I also network with impatient treatment centers across the country to better serve the needs of my clients. Finally, I like to write and present seminars and psychoeducational workshops to schools, parents, young adults, and local organizations. Contact me if you would like to find out more.
Counseling Psychology Professional Affiliations
- Member of the American Counseling Association
- Member of the Virginia Association of Clinical Counselors
- American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA)
- Chi Sigma Iota Counselors Honor Society Member
- Member of the Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA)
- Member of the International Association of Eating Disorders
- Member of the International Society of Mental Health Online